RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Day on the Road in Idaho Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Another Day on the Road in Idaho Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Our feet were pounding the pavement for just 23 miles today, but it was a noteworthy day nonetheless.

Getting something to eat is always a high priority; so we started our day by having a delicious breakfast at a local restaurant in Fairfield.

The sheriff we met yesterday turned out to be very helpful and generous. After breakfast he allowed us to go back to the police department to take showers. He also offered to make us two new brackets for our stroller. Although we knew this would delay our departure for awhile, we gladly accepted his offer. As the sheriff had other things to do, getting the brackets made took some time to complete.

While we were waiting around the police station, we met Wade Brackenbury, who enjoys traveling all over the world. Dr. Brackenbury (a chiropractor) invited us to go with him to the local senior center for lunch. Brandon and I enjoyed a good lunch there. Dr. Brackenbury is one of the most interesting people I have ever met in my life. During his travels he has hiked in North Korea and Tibet, gone to remote areas of Burma, climbed some parts of Mount Everest, hitchhiked in New Zealand, and kayaked for six months on African rivers with a 17-year old while treating people along the way. Somewhere amidst all his travels, he married a Malaysian woman and fathered a child with her. He now plans to go to Vietnam as a chiropractor. Dr. Brackenbury has written five books, with one of them – Yak Butter and Black Tea – published. I found his tales of travel very interesting and informative. He also gave us some suggestions about writing a book and publishing it.

Our handlebar snapped on the other side today. It feels like we are putting a finger in one spot to stop a leak only to have another leak spring up somewhere else. Some of you asked about the many problems with the stroller. The jogging stroller has really been a good way to store our gear and transport it. Of course, I am sure the stroller was not designed for travel for such long distances and tough terrain. It is definitely showing wear and tear, but we are optimistic it will get us to Oregon.

Comments have been posted from five more states today: New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin. My cousin Michael recently traveled to Puerto Rico and also posted from there. Twenty-six states have had posts from them. If you are from one of the states that hasn’t posted in the last three days, click on Post Comment and leave us a short note telling us where you are from.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: