RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howe, Idaho Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:39 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Howe, Idaho Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote

After another good talk with the guys from Free beer & Hot Wings we hit the road around 8:15 this morning. During the night, around 4am the sprinkler went off and for some reason it was aimed right at my side of the tent. Matt didn't even know that it was slowly soaking me as the mist came through the vent on the end of the tent. So even though the interview ended before 7 mst we let the tent dry out before we hit the road.

10 miles down the road we came to a little town with a grocery store and since the next best thing to a buffet is a grocery store with a microwave, we feasted on frozen burritos--2 for a dollar-and a hugh chunk of watermellon. Having filled ourselves up we headed for the Idaho National Laboratory Department of Energy Special Place or something like that. We didn't see much but the gate to the place and that was pretty well guarded. It is the site of the first working nuclear power plant in the world and also a place where the navy trains their people in nuclear subs in hugh swimming pools. The goverment has done many experiments in that area and we came away from there with a nice glow about us. We were guaranteed no houses for about 20 miles but when we did get past we climbed a little hill and could see our destination in the distance--about 10 miles ahead of us.

It was cool to see what irrigation can do as one side of the mountain was sagebrush and sand and the other side was green grass and crops. Along the way today we had 3 different people who stopped and gave us water, cookies and doughnuts. We really appreciate all the people that have helped us along the way.

We did have a new experience today when we were in the most desolate spot of the day. A professional photographer and his wife, Gabe and Sarah, who were headed for some mountain biking, stopped to talk. Gabe asked if he could take a few pictures of us and I guess when a professional photographer says a few he means hundreds because he took pictures of us from every angle, with a backdrop of beautiful moutains. Of course we didn't mind because it made us feel like models. Hopefully out of the hundreds of photos that he took we'll get a couple we can use for publicity or for a book cover or to hand out to hot babes.

As we got close to our destination, Howe, Idaho, the local police officer pulled over to the side of the road to ask what we were doing. After we explained our mission he told us we could put up our tent in the city park which offers bathrooms, electrical hook-up (outlets) and a nice comfy lawn to set up our tent on.

Right now I am sitting outside the tent on the picnic table listening to the coyotes in the distance. I guess we'll have to remember to keep our small pets inside tonight.

Tomorrow we plan on meeting up with an old friend in Arco, Idaho (no its not Napoleon Dynamite). If everything works out, and with KC you never know, we should get to Arco the same time as he does. He is in Jackson Hole, Wy. and we are 20 miles from Arco.

After 42 miles and not much sleep last night I need to get some rest. We really enjoy reading the comments our fans put on the site and would like to see even more so if you can comment, that kind of encouragement is appreciated as much as the help from the people along the way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: