RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tired and Happy Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:06 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Tired and Happy Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

As Brandon posted earlier, we are at the Best Western in eastern Boise at the moment. Right now I'm sitting in the lobby in an attempt to get all of our pictures uploaded. When I am finished, you can check the new pictures out at http://www.runacrosstheusa.com/images/8-11/ until our webmaster Tony gets them up for real. Uploading the images wasn't working in our room, so I volunteered to head down here to get it done. I was also able to exploit their milk and cookies, offered daily from 8:30-10. Highly recommended.

I'm pretty tired right now, and several loud people are congregating a few feet away from me. Their purpose seems to be a competition to see who can talk the loudest. So, whatever comes out of this post, keep in mind that it wasn't created in an ideal writing environment. Now that I've made my literary disclaimer, on with my take regarding the events of the past two days.

Brandon and I got into Mountain Home about 6:00 last night, and we made good use of the Wal-Mart to fulfill all of our purchasing needs. As Brandon mentioned in his post, he wasn't feeling well, which added an element of uncertainty to our plans. Still, it just wouldn't have been a complete trip if one of us hadn't puked on the way.

As Brandon also mentioned, we bought some high caffeine drinks to help us stay awake through the night. Most readers probably don't know this about me, but I gave up all caffeinated beverages when I was 16 years old in an effort to improve my health and lose some weight (I guess it helped, I lost 17 pounds over the next two months), and besides some small amounts of caffeine from chocolate and ibruprofen I've been free since.

Like most other drugs, you build up a resistance to caffeine after a while, which weakens its overall "effectiveness" and increasing alertness. Obviously, a person who abstains from caffeine is going to experience much more profound effects from consumption than a person who has a couple cups of coffee every morning. I guess what I'm trying to say is that those energy drinks made me feel more awake at 4 a.m. than I normally feel at noon. It was amazing to watch them take effect and then gradually wear off, although I tried to pace them out to last me all night. The effect was even more amazing when I drank several cups of coffee at a diner the following morning. However, the subsequent couple hours of awareness were cancelled out late by the enormous crash when the caffeine wore off. With blurry vision I managed to follow Brandon to the hotel and get into a room before falling asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.

After napping for a few hours, I awoke to get a few things completed. We did our laundry and posted the pictures, two time-consuming tasks that we probably won't do for the rest of the trip. Brandon was able to watch his Packer preseason game, and we enjoyed 4 Domino's pizzas and an order of cheesy bread.

Oregon is looming; in fact, we will be there this weekend. Idaho was surprisingly tough on us, but we both feel that our journey is winding down - only about 500 miles remain between us and our destination!

The wristbands are in! Our webmaster Tony has been on vacation in Michigan for several days (which included a 300+ mile bicycle tour with our friends Scott and James). Tony will be flying back to Boston tomorrow, but tomorrow night he plans to update the website's Store by adding the wristband sales. Check out the website Saturday morning to order the wristbands. Run Across the USA and Water for Africa are both embossed on one side of the bands. The wristbands will be aqua blue (the color of water) and will be sold on-line in sets of 5. The price will be 5 for $10.00, plus $1.00 shipping.

So, right now I'm ready to go crash again. We will be on the Free Beer and Hotwings radio show in the morning. Make sure to tune in at 8:30 EST. And, as always, we thank you all so much for your support. The encouragement we receive from your posted comments and e-mails is invaluable. Your support has truly made this trip worth every hardship.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: