RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 Days to Road's End Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: 8 Days to Road's End Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Our faithful readers know that Brandon and I crossed into Oregon 7 days ago. Both of us have been very surprised by the terrain as we follow Highway 20 westward. We expected Oregon to be filled with pine trees and rugged beauty. Instead, the areas we’ve traveled have been high desert—visualize sand, rocks and sagebrush with vast empty areas and very few people. Add into this unexpected terrain high daytime and low nighttime temperatures as you visualize the conditions surrounding us. Tomorrow we will be in Bend. We are eager to get to Bend as people, like Oregon~Lover, tell us to expect a change of scenery.

Now I will try to give you an idea of what has been happening lately. We are currently over 30 miles from a town and lucky to get through to our parents on the cell phone. Brandon and I hope to have Internet access again soon and will personally post more details about our adventures in Oregon. We have tons to tell you. Brandon will post his observations and tell you about a strange sight he saw the other night…more details when we get to use the computer again.

Thursday night the Murrays of Hampton, Oregon, graciously allowed us to set up camp on their property. The Murrays recently purchased the entire town of Hampton—all 16 acres—where the family now has a café and plans to reopen a gas station. There are just nine residents in Hampton—seven of them are in the Murray family.

We have already acclimated to Pacific Time. So getting up for the Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show—our interview time was 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time—was tough this morning. As usual we enjoyed talking with the guys and really appreciate their support. As soon as we were off the air, however, we went back to sleep for three more hours.

On Thursday we reached another major milestone—3,000 miles. Brandon and I have been trying to get some high mileage so that we finish on time—Wednesday we walked 52, Thursday 42, and today 30. My leg problem from Pennsylvania has flared up again—probably because of the very high mileage combined with the hilly terrain. I am hoping that the leg will start to feel better soon.

My father's lifelong friend Mark Igo has acquaintances—the Robertsons from Bend, Oregon—who wanted to meet us. So, today they drove towards Brothers to see if they could locate us. The Robertsons came into Brothers just as we got there. After introducing themselves, we spent some time talking to them. Since we will be walking near their home, they offered to let us stay there tomorrow night. We gladly accepted their offer. She also took our dirty clothes so that she could wash them for us. Brandon and I are delighted to have met them and very happy they have been so thoughtful. We are eager to get to their home tomorrow night.

Tonight a beautiful full moon provided us with welcome light to walk by. Since the next town is over 30 miles away, we had to set up our tent along the highway. My mom is worried about rattlesnakes, but I assured her that there are no rattlesnakes in this area as the ground is too abrasive. That statement was based on something I read recently. I hope the book is accurate!

Just 8 days left and approximately 220 miles to go.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: