RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Internet! Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:10 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: The Internet! Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Yes! I have wireless DSL Internet! The day I made the last update from school, I came home and found the router just sitting there. The power cord didn't work, but I found another and voila! in about a half hour I had the whole thing set up!

Anyways, I've been enjoying it the past few days, but I've also been very busy. I now teach a 1-on-1 class from 6-8 Monday/Tuesday/Thursday. The only reason I'm not teaching it right now is because my student never showed! But that appears to be to your benefit, because it gives me plenty of time to update this.

First order of business is to tell you all to GO HERE and answer our poll question. We were thinking of making t-shirts, right now we're just seeing if we have enough interest to make it worthwhile to get them. Well, make sure to voice your opinion either way, and any ideas for it would be awesome.

First of all, the new news system *should* be up soon. James assures me that it won't take too long to set up, but I'll only believe that when it's in place. We're a little bit farther away on setting up an image directory, but that will be forthcoming. It isn't really that important, though...we shouldn't have that many pictures to show until The Run starts. Still, it would be nice to get a little more up. My mom said she'd scan a few pictures of Brandon and myself, so I'll put those up as soon as she e-mails them to me.

Brandon hasn't sent me his things for the site yet, what a lazy bum. But he's been running quite well, and that's what really matters. He ran a 3000m in 9:32 last week, that's pretty darn fast. But I've never run that distance, so I guess we can't compare. For all I know he would've broken down in the last 200m and taken 2 minutes to cross the finish line.

Well, I'm sure people have been wondering how we plan on transporting things that we take on our trip. I just updated the "About The Run" section to answer that question, but I also have a new answer for here. We plan on using a stroller, and we've already tested a few brands. We definitely want one that has a zip cover on the front to protect our things from the elements. We haven't bought one yet, but this is what we're looking at:

Trek Transit Deluxe

Body Construction:
Super-compact folding, durable fabric body. All-weather cover.

Internal Features:
Fully padded and reinforced seat bottom, padded and reinforced seat back, mesh helmet shelf, tinted side and front windows, side quarter vent windows, dual storage pockets, padded shoulder harness

External Features:
Alloy rims and hubs with stainless steel spokes, full wrap around wheel guard, Slime sealant filled inner tubes, rear mesh and fabric cargo flap

Bicycle attachment:
Universal rear axle quick release mount with available disc brake mounting

Optional attachments:
Comes standard with full jogger kit, available stroller kit with dual 8" pivoting caster wheels. Jogger and stroller kit feature an adjustable handle and install without tools

Colors:
Navy, Red and Grey

Assembled exterior dimensions:
56 (l) x 33 (w) x 36 (h)

Interior Dimensions:
23 (l) x 23 (w) x 25 (h) Height measured vertically from seat index point to inside top of trailer

Total unit weight:
23.5 pounds

Carrying capacity (kids + stuff):
100 pounds

That's mostly from the Trek site. Anyways, this model suits us very well. It is actually cheaper than the regular Transit model for us, because this one comes with a jogger kit standard. This is what it looks like with jogger kit installed.

Normally they would run us about $450-$500, but I've found them new online for closer to $300-$350 range. We'll also plan on buying tire repair stuff and a distance monitor (the kind they use on bikes.) Hope to spend under $400 for the whole thing. Thankfully, this should be our greatest expense besides food, and it's probably our most important item. Whatever we end up with, we have to push a few thousand miles. I've been researching the different models, and I really do think this is a great one for us. A big thank you to the nice people at the Escanaba Mr. Bike & Ski for letting us test out all their joggers, even letting us run around the block with them! That means a special thank you to Hans Whitmer. Your dad (the "Crazy Guy" Gladstone cross country coach) would be proud.

Well, that's all I think I have for right now. Until next time, make sure to stay tuned!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: