RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't fret, we're still running it. Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:47 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Don't fret, we're still running it. Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Well, it's been quite a bit since I've last updated. So long, in fact, that I have been receiving inquiries into the status of our planned adventure. It's still on, I've just been too busy to update, and Brandon has been too lazy. My days have been filled with planning some of the details of our run, and locating and purchasing the equipment we'll need. I bought our stroller last week from Marinette Cycle Center. It is BIG, and will hold our stuff nicely. It handles really well, comes apart quickly, is very durable, and glides down the road. I'll get some pictures up...sometime.

I'm currently bidding on eBay for the tent that we want to use. I still need to get my sleeping bag and my CamelBak, but besides that I think most of our purchases could be made at nearly any sporting goodsstore or supermarket. The only impossible thing to get may be an Ogo. In retrospect, I should have picked one up at Christmas time. They've been discontinued, and they are very hard to come by now.

I know we need t-shirts, and I know we need pictures. To be honest, pictures are a pain and I haven't felt ambitious enough to devote a day to planning a layout and scanning a zillion pictures. I've been hired as an assistant track coach, coaching shot and discus of all things. I try to do my best, and I've learned a ton. It's very enjoyable, and I'm thankful for the work. Basically I spend most of my day running and working outside, then I go to practice and come home. It's a somewhat lonely existence, but I have managed to start a little tradition with my good friend Derek. Every Saturday morning we hit up all the rummage sales and secondhand stores in the area. Last week I bought a three piece suit, and I've also purchased several other things, including a jacket, a small TV for my car (for $0.50) and a couple games I plan on reselling for quite a profit.

Lately I've been reading more than usual. I just read "Catch Me If You Can", the true story about Frank Abagnale, Jr. that was turned into the hit movie of 2003 starring Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio. I loved it, and was amazed at his ability to circumvent the system. I now want to be a con man, but, as Brandon pointed out to me, I also wanted to be a professional poker player after watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN. So give me a week, I'm sure I'll forget all about it.

It's barely over a month until The Run begins, a fact that Brandon reminded me of when I talked to him on MSN last night. I'm excited, and I can't wait to get on the road. I think this will be a life-changing experience for both of us. I also know that once we're on the road, all of my frustrations and planning will be done. It'll just be me, him, and the road. And, of course, our loyal viewers, checking our progress.

Don't miss it. =)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: