RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index RunAcrossTheUSA.com
The place to comment on The Run, and read all about the adventures of Matt and Brandon!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River Rat Phipps Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 pm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: River Rat Phipps Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Well, since we have internet access once again, I thought I'd post and fill you in on a few of the things Matt forgot to mention in his post. It was tough to say goodbye to my family, but Matt and I spent most of the day talking about what we will look for in our future wives, of all things, so the time was full of interesting conversation and wasn't as gloomy as it could have been.

Although we did get a late start and didn't stop very often, we were still able to meet an interesting fellow. As we were walking down the road, some guy in an old, beat-up car pulled off by the side of the road and began asking us a few questions. Before you read what he talked about, you have to picture what he looked like. Image Santa Claus with a few less teeth, sunglasses, a hat, and overalls. Here's a couple pictures of him with his driver's license. The reason he had his license out was to prove to us that his legal name was indeed "River Rat Phipps." He had it legally changed over twenty years ago, and he would agree with us in saying that the name fits. He pulled up about 1/4 mile onto a side road so he could ask us some questions, and while we walked up closer he walked into a cornfield, looked around, did his business, and walked back out to meet us. We knew we were dealing with a character.

We began talking and he shared with us his five lifetime goals (2 of which he had already accomplished): catch a 20 lb. catfish (done), follow the entire length of the Mississippi (done), shoot a moose, live in a teepee for a year, and, our favorite, walk across America. He was pretty sure he wasn't going to accomplish the walk now that he's getting on in years, but his journey down the Mississippi was pretty impressive and he even wrote a book. I can't remember the full title, but it was something like Travels on the River and Skeeters I've Met. He let us go on our way, but I'm sure he had plenty of stories to share with us about his life.

Also, toward the end of the day we came across a sheep that was apparently possessed by some kind of demon. You can see a picture of it here. I just looked it up online and apparently it's called a "Jacob's Sheep," but I prefer the term "devil sheep." It was in the same pen with a llama, a donkey, and a miniature horse, so it was like a dinner theater as we snacked on the sandwiches, apples, and cookies my parents had packed for us.

Well, it's time to go to bed. And when I say bed, I mean a real, queen-sized bed that the Fields were gracious enough to offer us. Matt volunteered to sleep on the couch and I'll let him, so we get separate rooms tonight. I hope you enjoy pictures.

Brandon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RunAcrossTheUSA.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: